The Premier Location for Sandboarding Supplies in the San Luis Valley
Kristi Mountain Sports is the premier location in the San Luis Valley that rents and sells Venomous sandboards and sand-sleds. These boards are hand made in Oregon specifically for use on sand. Whether the sand is wet or dry our boards work phenomenally better than plastic sleds. When used with a specially formulated sand wax (included in rental) they slide down the dunes very quickly. These toys are the superior sliding devices at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and are sure to make a great experience even better.
All rentals are $20/day* (per item) and include a puck of specialty wax for each piece of equipment.
- Sandboard (adult or junior size) - stand-up board with bindings
- Sand Sled (adult or junior size) - sit-down sled
All equipment must be picked up at our store in Alamosa during normal business hours. We currently do not have an after-hours pick up option. In the event you require an after hours return, please coordinate with our staff members when picking up your equipment.
*Rental price includes tax
No need to reserve equipment October through April! We have plenty of items available to accommodate walk-in rentals. Please call after 5/1/24 to make summer rental reservations (May-Sept).
In the winter months, there are days we don't allow our equipment to be used on the dunes due to snow and ice coverage. Other times during the winter, the dunes dry off and we do allow equipment rentals. This changes on a day to day basis depending on weather and sand conditions. Please call a day before you plan to rent to find out if we'll be allowing equipment to go out that day.
Call us with any questions!
Rental-Day Period and Returns
Standard rental-day options:
- Pickup 9am-4pm, due within 1 hour of opening the next day
- Pickup after 4pm, due by close the next day
Equipment can be rented for multiple days and kept overnight. We do not offer after-hours equipment pickups. Typical business hours* are 9a-5p M,Th,F,Sat and 10a-5p Sun.
After hours returns are accepted at the Fairfield Inn near Walmart (click for directions).
We are CLOSED Tuesdays & Wednesdays - equipment must be picked up Monday after 4 pm for Tue or Wed use.
*Hours are subject to change seasonally - please call or visit our Google page for current hours
Frequently Asked Questions
- Sandals or Shoes – The sand gets extremely hot on sunny summer days and will burn the soles of your feet if you don’t have a barrier between your foot and the sand. Socks are also recommended.
- Clothing – Check the weather and plan accordingly. Generally shorts and a t-shirt during the summer months. We recommend long sleeved shirts and pants on windy days.
- Water – Remember, you’re at 7,500 feet – drink!
- Sunglasses or Goggles
- Bandanna or BUFF to cover face
- Rain Gear
- Zip-off Pants
- Camera – Leave the point-and-shoot and the SLR at home (sand will seize the lens). Cell phone and GoPro cameras are best suited for the Dunes.